Friday, November 6, 2009

soundcloud - my music - blue and green

Miles Davis: "I wish I could swing like Wynton Kelley."
Jimmy Cobb: "I wish you could too."

The first jazz album I bought was "The Unique Thelonious Monk" which was issued in 1956. I would have been ten, so I probably didn't buy it that year. Maybe a year or two later. One of his few trio albums - Oscar Pettiford and Art Blakey. standards like "Lisa" and "Tea for Two" and "Darn the Dream." None of his own compositions. Really a great record.

The next was "Milestones." Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderley, Red Garland, Philly Joe Jones and Paul Chambers. It's never gotten the respect it deserves -- just cheap reissues. But I think it's better than "Kind of Blue."

Regarding "Kind of Blue," I, probably perversely, prefer the Wynton Kelley tracks to the Bill Evans ones.

I've been watching "Mad Men" which re-creates a certain part of the late '50s and early '60 with amazing accuracy. The problem is, all the characters are hateful idiots. There was a lot more going on, and you get an occasional hint of it.

I wish I could swing like Wynton Kelley too.

Bluegreen by user1620611

No comments:

Post a Comment